Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Holiday Wishlists?

beporterbeporter Posts: 123
edited November 2007 in General
So what's on everone's respective holiday wishlists this year? Anything you're just dying to get? How about a few (or a lot) "in the realm of possibility" examples and something there's no way you'd ever get (like for me it would be getting all my student loans paid off. There's a good chunk of change, let me tell ya!)

Comments

• YureiYurei Posts: 14
    A new guitar and a cat that dosent like to smash them.
  • All I want for Christmas money....sounds greedy, but I need it for the house Mr. Porter and I will be buying next year and I definitely don't want more "stuff" to try and cram into it.
  • A completed thesis and a job. I'll also take one of those student loan paid off coupons.
  • As a related point, my steadily employed girlfriend is buying me an Xbox 360 tonight. I am trying to decide whether Bioshock or Assassin's Creed is getting my time until Mass Effect comes out.
  • SGSG Posts: 76
    Well I've tried really hard to be good this year....

I'd like a new guitar..well really another so I can tune it to Open G and play slide and Stones tunes.

I'd like a 360 to play Halo with my friends. (My roommate has assassin's creed coming for the PS3)

I'd like a chance to sleep for more than 5 hrs at a time.

Though I suppose none of them are really that important. The one thing I would like is to be able to make a certain someone happy this Christmas, we'll see how that turns out.
  • So what's in your "realm of possibility" category there Mr. Porter?
  • beporterbeporter Posts: 123
    A couple pairs of socks or a new toothbrush.

We're poor dear, remember?

:-)
    SG, is this the same certain someone?

EDIT:: hrm, maybe I should be less tactless. Follow up question deleted from public forum and saved for pm.
  • SGSG Posts: 76
    Nope, and you've got mail.

Anyone who has a wii should get super mario galaxy. It's the cat's meow.
  • So many good games that came out all at once.... It is really unfair.

Bioshock is definitely among the best games I have ever played. It is sort of an anti-Half-life in an awesome way.
  • I got both Super Mario Galaxy and Mass Effect about a week ago and I must say, playing SMG has pre-empted my anticipated engrossment with ME. I beat Assassins Creed which was, for the most part, AssAss.

As a follow up to my wish list, I got a job which start Jan 7th, and I am under deadline for my thesis for Dec. 21st, so it looks like I have been taken care of this xmas.
    congrats! Is the job anything fun?
  • Yeah, it seems pretty awesome. I will be a firmware developer for Yotta Yotta. None of that .NET Java bubblegum crap. Straight-up hardcore C development :)

They make these SAN boxes with some unique proprietary technology and they have some big contracts with some big clients. I am pretty excited because it is a small company with a clearly upwards trajectory that has the potential to get huge in the next couple years... and I get stock options :) Plus, they offered me a rather awesome starting salary and a 2k signing bonus which was music to my ears given my meager student lifestyle.

This company was pretty much my first choice out of the pool of local stuff. Edmonton has some pretty slim pickings. Intuit is the biggest employer and I don't believe that developing tax software is my calling.
    That sounds awesome. I don think I personally would like writing firmware code, but damn I'd love to work at a place like that writing software. I'm totally jealous. Congrats again!
  • I guess it really depends on preference. I am quite well-practiced in C at the moment from all my thesis work, so that is where I can make a smooth transition.

A lot of the work at this company is in the testing (they make high-reliability boxes, after all), which they do in Python. That is probably what I will be doing for the first bit. I am sure any job is pretty much the same, once you get up to speed, programming is programming. I just have a fondness for the bare-metal approach of C. It is a darn good language that has stood the test of time.