Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Computer Issue

SGSG Posts: 76
edited February 2008 in General
Upon returning home today at the start of my spring break, I find my desktop PC is busted. I have no idea when it stopped working or why but as of now it will attempt to boot and then shut off.

It will begin to start by showing the BIOS information and then proceeding to the Windows XP loading screen like it did when it worked properly and then it will arbitrarily power off. No warning, no indication of any particular component failing, no nothing. Subsequent attempts to power it on will result in it shutting down on its own, sometimes sooner, sometimes a bit later, but always shutting off.

Any ideas?

Comments

• terrajiterraji Posts: 69
    Guesses:

1) it is overheating, you can monitor the temperature in the bios or maybe a motherboard utility program in windows-> clean out dust and apply some new thermal paste on the cpu heat sink

2) Power supply is shaky. If it was plugged into the wall over the period, even if it was turned off, a power spike could have damaged it. -> replace power supply.
  • beporterbeporter Posts: 123
    my first thought was PSU too. Especially if it was "cold" when you started it, it would be hard for the components to heat up enough to cause a thermal shutdown during boot (unless we're talking about a dead CPU fan). Could potentially be a BSOD during boot too. Does it do the same thing if you try to get to Safe Mode? Another great way to rule out software is to boot from a LiveCD like knoppix and play around for a while. If it still turns off at least you definitely know its hardware.
    My comapny has seen a lot of weirder things too that are a lot less likely, but possible. Bad electrical outlets. Accessories plugged in. Stuff you would never think would be relevant.
  • SGSG Posts: 76
    I imagine it might be my PSU. I won't have the time to get another one that will fit the shuttle case before break is over. So I guess this is going to sit on the back burner for awhile.
    I wouldn't worry about ordering a specific replacement from Shuttle until you're able to confirm the PSU really is the issue. All of the connectors are standard, so if you (or a parent or friend) has a full sized pc tower with a vanilla atx power supply you can hook it up to the components in the shuttle just for testing. Obviously a regular psu won't fit inside the shuttle case, but it doesn't have to just to test if it'll boot (and stay running).