Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

ReconGamer Information Thread

beporterbeporter Posts: 123
edited February 2007 in General
I'm looking to collect as much information about the company ReconGamer, its owners and operators, its employees, etc. here. At some point I'll copy and paste what I started from the home page here. If anyone else comes up with any leads, please post it here. The forum requires my authorization to even VIEW, so post anything you get: names, phone numbers, home addresses... Nobody but members can see it.

Comments

• beporterbeporter Posts: 123
    Also, not that 10 people need supervision, but I'd like to appoint at least one other administrator for the forum, for safekeeping and redundancy. I'd also like to get a duplicate copy of my CSR mirror to someone here, either on DVD or download...something. Right now I'm the only one who has anything, and I never like single points of failure.

[p]Any takers? (I can probably guess the two people most likely to respond...)
  • SGSG Posts: 76
    I don't really have time to hunt down RG (though I suppose you really don't either), but if you need me to hang onto a DVD or keep out the riff-raff that stumble in, I suppose I could lend my services.
  • Not sure why it is worth hunting down RG. Is there some unresolved financial issue?

I think the best collection of info is on the main page right now. What other piece of info would be helpful?

If you want copy your backup, I can scp it over to one of my machines. How big is it? I assume you have it at home and would have to send it from your home connection, so I can throttle it down to a few KB/sec and leave it running overnight. Or you could seed a torrent. That would be cool and fun, and everybody could get a copy.
    It's pure curiosity that is driving me to hunt down RG. I just am dying to know what the hell happened. Of course, I'd also love to smack somebody in the face for being so...abrupt, but that's a different thing altogether.

[p]I got the response I was expecting on copies of CSR as well. I can set up a torrent on icabbit-- that should be fairly reliable and recoverable. Give me a few days to get everything copied over and I'll get you the .torrent file. We have a dynamic IP cable connection, but we also have dynamic DNS, so that should keep everyone connected pretty reliably.
    I am currently running an rsync job to load all of the mirror files from my G4 to iCabbit. It's 4.3GB, so it's gonna take a while. I'll build the torrent later tonight and get it to both of you.
  • is it compressed? A bzip2 would probably do well.
    I'll bzip the folder before building the torrent I guess. I was thinking I wanted the reliability of many small file transfers, but then I remembered bittorrent takes care of all that anyway regardless of the source files.
    edited February 2007
    No man page, no documentation, no -h self help... nothing that tells me how to generate a new .torrent file from the command line on a FreeBSD box. I've got bittorrent, bittorrent-curses, and bittorrent-console at the ready, along with a 2.65GB tar.bz2 file, and no idea how to proceed. Even Google isn't turning anything up for "creating bittorrent seed command line" and other variations.

[p]Terraji, help!

[p]By the way, it took like, 3 hours to tar and bzip that folder on my Dual 1GHz G4. Ouch.
    Post edited by beporter on
  • terrajiterraji Posts: 69
    edited February 2007
    I assume what you want to do is 1. run the tracker from icabbit 2. seed the file from icabbit

must it be command line? Azureus would probably be your best all-in-one choice since it has a built in tracker.

the official bittorrent client brings up a gui on my gentoo install. It has a menu option for creating a torrent. the bittorrent-curses looks pretty weak, the help for it does not seem to list any similar options. The ebuild put init scripts and a conf file for the tracker service in /etc. You probably have the equivalent on BSD. (though it looks like the BSD port isn't officialy supported)

If you can get the tracker service running on icabbit, you could create the torrent on another machine and seed from there. All my experiences with command line clients has always been ick.

I think there are also 3rd party trackers that you can register for and set up for you own stuff, but it may not be worth the effort.
    Post edited by terraji on
  • walkerwalker Posts: 1
    Really didn't know what this forum was about, but happened upon some thread about recongamer. From time to time I search the web to see if there is any news about them, that lead me here. I paid a a years rent in advance, after 8 months my server stopped working. They owe me about 4 months worth of rent.
  • terrajiterraji Posts: 69
    Interestingly enough, the company that I was working for disappeared from existence two weeks ago. We had millions of dollars worth of support contracts with large companies that will not be honored. Basically, the website went offline and the phone lines went dead.

The good news is that our technology and assets were acquired by EMC. That includes the engineering talent, which includes me.

Crazy economic times, people. Hooray for stable employment! Though, I feel bad for the 40% of the former employees that didn't get jobs with EMC.
    We were (are) a community of CounterStrike players that used to host our server with RG. We didn't lose any money when they went under, so I guess we were lucky. It was really inconsiserate to just up and go out of business. They could have sent us letters.